Burpham and Wepham lie in the South Downs National Park, at the end of a no-through road leading into the Downs from the A27. Our Google Maps location is here.
We nestle below the earthen banks of the 'Burgh', a hill fort, part of the Anglo-Saxon defences of the region against the Vikings, and possibly first built in the Iron Age. The floodplain of the river Arun lies below us, with cattle grazing in the rich meadows. Around us is downland, with sheep and arable farming. Birds of prey hover overhead.
These views from the church tower give you an idea of the beautiful spot in which we live.
Our village is a popular place to take a holiday, walk or cycle from, or plan a birdwatching trip. The George at Burpham, our pub, is owned by villagers and has an excellent reputation. The ancient church, used every Sunday, is layered with history. Why not visit us?
There is a lively community spirit, and a great deal happens in the village. See our list of groups, or check our most recent newsletter, both on this website.
At a recent count there were 53 houses in Burpham containing 93 people, and 38 houses in Wepham containing 69 people, the total population being 162. Of course, these numbers fluctuate from year to year and some people are registered elsewhere. In 1996 we had 180 people. In 1867 the population was 256. (Warningcamp, our neighbouring village, has about 86 people living in 42 houses, so we are about twice their size.)
In Burpham we have 13 Grade II Listed Buildings and one Grade I (the church). In Wepham there are 17 Grade II Listed Buildings. The whole of Arun District has 781 Listed Buildings. In addition, in Burpham there are 10 "Buildings or Structures of Character", and 4 in Wepham. They are listed in this document: Local Listed Buildings Burpham and Wepham Village
Our two red phone boxes are type K6, designed in 1935 by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. The Wepham box was bought by our Village Committee (for £1) and awaits suggestions for its future use. Good secondhand ones now sell for well over £3000 (+P&P).
South Downs National Park
We are now in the South Downs National Park, having previously been an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (although the designation of AONB continues). We are also an Environmentally Sensitive Area (of special importance to farmers), the bank of the River Arun is designated a Site of Special Scientific Interest (being of wildlife and geological importance), and parts are designated as a Site of Nature Conservation Importance (also for the protection of wildlife and flora). The land on which the village hall, the car park, and the recreation ground are situated is a Scheduled Ancient Monument and strictly protected.
The A27 is controlled by The Highways Agency, a government department, but the road from the A27 to Burpham is a Class C road (C118, not normally so stated on maps) controlled by West Sussex County Council Highways Department.